Ewa Sonnet Love

Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge, Tour of New Zealand Style
It's time to review week one of the tour of New Zealand by Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge. What has she worn and what are the key trends that we can extract from this show so far? Well, we can start with my favourite favourite. That's the Jenny Packham black dress with the white / silver detail on the shoulder. I love it. It is impeccable and there is nothing I would change. Not even the hair annoyed me. I know. Amazing.
Sticking with the black and white theme, Kate arrived in a Max Mara wrap dress that we have seen before. But quickly moved onto her first official engagement with Prince George in a black and white woven Tory Burch dress that I think is a brilliant. The colour is on trend and a nod to the national colours. The fit is immaculate. The design is modern. This is a real winner.
Then there was the selection of solid, bold colour coat dresses. This is VERY much in keeping with HRH The Queen's style, interpreted in a modern way. Clever girl. There is also an array of hair styles. Hallelujah! Some variety is always good, although of course my favourite is the pony tail. YES!! The pill-box style hats are cool and modern and the hem lines are getting a tiny bit shorter with each successive coat dress. I like this. It's a bit cheeky. The red is by Catherine Walker, the light blue is Alexander McQueen, the green is by Erdem and the bright turquoise is by Emilia Wickstead, a designer born in New Zealand. Most are very contemporary British designers who bring something more edgy to a traditional royal tour wardrobe. Although of course her shoes remain totally classic.
For the more relaxed events Kate has gone formulaic. Her standard J.Brand skinny deep indigo jeans are paired with her navy Zara blazer and those Stuart Weitzman wedges I abhor. I do love the Me + Em Breton stripe top and the new blue and white checked shirt. But the wedges and the Sebago boat shoes are just awful. No?
Let's not forget that Kate is a sporty chick. She participated in coaching a kids rugby team — in a cool Jonathan Saunders knit jumper and Mint Velvet sneakers — and beat Prince William on the seas in a yacht race. Good girl. Not just a pretty face, glorious locks and polite smiles. Kate has gumption. And that's the nicest thing I have ever said about her. Also she has fun no matter what. I admire that more than anything. Bring on Week 2 of the tour. I can't wait to see what she wears next.
Idle Talk: