Ewa Sonnet Love

Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge, in Jenny Packham to Leave Hospital
I am old enough to clearly remember that day, 31 years ago, when Princess Diana stepped out of the hospital, decked in green and white polka dots, and looking tired and overwhelmed, holding Prince William in her arms. All I wanted to do was go and get a dress with polka dots on it. Now I'll bet that there is a whole new generation of fashion-obsessed young women who feel the same.
Yesterday evening, Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge, stepped out on the self-same steps with William. Also dressed in polka dots. Hers were baby blue, in honour of her new son. And the dress was a custom design by Jenny Packham. I have to admit, despite being resolutely unfazed by all the melodrama surrounding the birth, I may have welled up a bit when I saw it.
Not the baby you understand. Although I am sure that the new Prince Cambridge is a delight. But the dress. It was just such a perfect choice. Sweet and unpretentious in appearance. Dots for her late mother-in-law. Blue for her brand new little man. Casual and pretty for a happy occasion. And that her husband wore a tonally appropriate shirt to match was just darling.
Of course, this is me and I have a very, very long history of commenting on Kate's looks, so I will say this: I hated those damn wedges. Clunky and dated, I wish she had just worn a nice balt flat for the occasion. And possibly tied that hair in a ponytail. It really would have been absolutely fine and much, much more practical. I'm never giving up on this.
But I did think it was sweet that when her mum, Carole Middleton, came to visit, she also wore a soft blue print dress. Hers was by Orla Kiely and I really rather fancy getting that one this time round. What did you guys think? Did you love the dress?
Idle Talk: