Ewa Sonnet Love

Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Africa 2012: Thula Sindi
There are many reasons why it is important to me that every single Thula Sindi collection is good. First of all because I love him. Second of all because he is a wonderful human that deserves all the very best things in life. And third of all because he is talented. Sometimes things don't work out. They usually trip up because Thula gets waylaid by bad fabric. Sometimes because he gets bad advice. And sometimes because his determination to over-accessorise every single look leads to a misstep in styling. I get the feeling that all three elements came into play in his Africa fashion week collection. 
Just like David's show, I want to outlaw all traces of satin from the collection. Nay, in the world. Especially in chartreuse. But also in purple. And I want to strip all tassels and diamante off the clothes. Then the fringing. And then the necklaces. In other words I want to edit this collection. With a slash of my anti-fuss weapon. And you know what you get when you do all of that? You get a wonderfully refreshing, African-inspired, commercial collection. That is going to sell. And bring Thula all the good things in life.
I absolutely loved the opening to the show. The earthy colours and prints in his signature silhouettes. The splashes of colour. The defined waists. The pretty pleating. This is exactly where this collection should be. Although I had no idea before I saw it. 
Then there was the softness and the switch-up in prints. This is where the slashing weapon needed to be deployed. Because underneath the fuss was a selection of super-cool pieces. Great use of the peplum silhouette as always. And THAT DRESS. The one that will sell for days. Because it is pretty. And flattering. And appropriate. And different. And we need it. Please put a million of those into production my man. You will need them.
There was some evening wear that was most successful when combining Thula's signature styles — pleating and peplum. And then the fashion 'moment' of the show, as every single model came back out wearing the addition of his biker jacket from his collection last season. And the miracle of it was that every single look worked. 
Toughed up, stripped back, the lady who lunches got cool. Now THIS is what I wanted. This is fashion. This is what gets me excited. Especially for Thula. That stroke of genius alone earned him that SA Tourism Designer of the Year accolade, which was presented at the Africa Fashion Awards on Sunday night. Brilliant. Well done. Now let me at the collection next time please. Wielding my weapon of the anti-fuss. Please :)
All photos courtesy of SDRPhoto
Idle Talk: