Ewa Sonnet Love

2014 SONA Red Carpet Review
I was on expresso TV show this morning talking about the fashion on the red carpet of yesterday's South African State of the Nation address. Due to time constraints I didn't get to say all that I wanted to say. And it may have seemed that I was approving. I wasn't. The fashion last night was, in general, absolutely terrible. It wasn't red carpet ready at all for the men. And for most of the ladies. But some made an effort, and those we applaud. I can't find images or footage to use of Lindiwe Maseko, Speaker from Gauteng, but she was my favourite. In an elaborate head piece and a gorgeous embroidered black kaftan. Amazing.
After her, I have to give props to Helen Zille as she really did get it right. You can hate the colour and still agree that, on her, it is great. Great design (Louis Designs), great authentic bead work, and great fit. Well done Helen.
Thuli Mandonsela, our Public Protector, was resplendent in yellow lace from King Designs in Pretoria. Aside from that silly scarf AND necklace she flung on for no apparent reason, she really was a winner. Good girl.
Bridget Motsepe, wife of Justice Minister Jeff Radebe, wore Marianne Fassler and it was GOOD. Well done lady. I wish more of the key women had followed your lead.
I love, love, loved Gugu Mtshali as ever. She is just the best dressed woman in the business and, as the partner of deputy president Kgalema Mohlante, makes me want them to represent us abroad as they have STYLE. The texture and hem detail on this dress was fabulous, although I would have lost the gold collar.
Lindiwe Mazibuko bust out the princess pretty for her dress. It was a white/silver silk floor sweeper by Kat van Duinen that needed an inch up at the hem and looked a shade too bridal. But we will forgive that for three reasons — she looked so pretty and hair and make-up were flawless, she looked so HAPPY in her fairytale dress, and the Missibaba clutch that she had especially made in a riot of local colour, was brilliant.
And then there was my erstwhile idol, Patricia de Lille. She always wears the pants, and this time it was a chic white suit from local people, House of Monatic. The silk blouse is also a winner. But really. What ARE those shoes, lady? I dispair.
Idle Talk: