Ewa Sonnet Love

African Designer, Modahnik, On New Project Runway Line-up
At the last Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Africa 2012, held in Johannesburg last year, I had the pleasure and privilege to meet a lady designer called Kahindo Mateene, who showed her collection under the label Modahnik. I wasn't expecting much, and was pleasantly surprised to find it made up of fun, fashion pieces, all executed in traditional African print fabrications. And executed well. We all went away happy and I was glad to have met her. She returned to Chicago, where she moved to from the Democratic Republic of Congo and I returned to Cape Town.
Now it turns out Kahindo will be taking part in the next season of Project Runway! Which is I believe Season 12. Hopefully we will see it on our screens soon, and I am sure that I speak for all of the African fashion community when I wish her the very best of luck. Go Kahindo!
Ramp photos courtesy of SDRPhoto
Idle Talk: