Ewa Sonnet Love

Rihanna's Week In Style
It's not often that I compliment Rihanna on her style. But when I do, it is because it is VERY good. I am just not a huge fan of the urban street style she favours and I often think that a bit less flesh exposed would be more interesting. We have all seen her in oversized sports wear and it suits her well enough. I think she works a trackie pant and heels better than anyone actually. And I love it when she appropriates men's high fashion. But I am totally over seeing her in sheers and mesh and bikinis. YAWN. Enough already. And then yesterday she wore this. Cool. Urban. Interesting. The little vintage bag. The pairing of trainers and dress. I LOVE IT.
I also think she did something super cool at the VMAs. I couldn't say she was best dressed or anything. But she did look awesome in a vintage t-shirt, her own Rihanna for River Island jeans and Manolo Blahnik shoes. And diamonds of course. It may not have been conventionally appropriate for the awards show, but I think it was hands-down the hippest outfit. And it felt really authentic. Like this was really her own style. Not what some stylist had put her in. I want more of this please.
Which is not to say that I didn't think she looked awesome in that tiny black Balmain dress, heels and red lips she changed into afterwards. She looked amazing. But predictable. And interchangeable. I think Rihanna is at her style best when she is switching things up. Being surprising. Making us notice with a whisper. That's is what authentic style will do. That is what the top two outfits do. Brilliantly.
Idle Talk: