Ewa Sonnet Love

Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Africa 2012: Day 2 Reviews
It doesn't surprise me at all that this extraordinary and unexpected collection took two years to craft. The Haute Couture house of Fred Sathal showed us an incredible collection of urban, embellished pieces in a French-South African partnership that I can only describe as a rare treat. The detail was utterly sublime. The craftsmanship like nothing I have ever seen before. The contrast between the urban aesthetic and the whimsy of the styling just beautiful. I was blown away. And grateful. This trip to fashion week was worth it just for this collection.
And yet, on day 2 of this African fiesta of fashion, we also got a double dose of iconic South African collections. First up was Marianne Fassler. She is a master of the modern African aesthetic and SO VERY CLEVER. Every season she modernises, updates and refreshes. We want leopard print and tulle from her, and she gives us this every time. Except in a new way. Re-expressed for today. And for this season, this means print-trimmed coats, sequin skulls and recycled materials that speak to the craft trend and the responsibility we must have to our environment. I find it extraordinary how she continues to surprise, delight and entertain. Every season. Year after year. It is so impressive.
And then there was Gavin Rajah. You know we discussed yesterday whether or not hot pink was a trend. Well Gavin heard our call and answered emphatically, YES IT IS. I adored the sports chic interpretations of the classic city suit and bomber jacket. In fact I can't quite imagine my life without these pieces now. Which is totally unexpected. But for me, the epitome of everything we MUST love about Gavin's work was all contained in the opening. The first look spoke of SS13 trend. It spoke of Africa. It spoke of luxury. It spoke of hard-edged fashion that lives in a romantic's soul. The indulgence of the 80s-Versace inspired luxe transported me to a place that, on reflection, Gavin stage managed, art directed and designed. It was a place of opulence and beauty. It was familiar. But with a snigger. If I was ever concerned as to what exactly constituted Gavin Rajah's signature RTW style, it was all there in the opening story of this collection. And I loved it. A lot. Thank you sir.
All photos courtesy of SDRPhoto
Idle Talk: