Ewa Sonnet Love

Anele Mdoda is 2012 South African Style Awards Winner in Loin Cloth and Ashes
@Anele
Radio DJ, TV presenter, author and MC, Anele Mdoda has had one hell of a year. The first woman in South Africa to host a solo drive time show, Anele has been justly awarded with GLAMOUR Magazine Woman of the Year, Woman in the Media Rising Star award and other accolades. Last night in Johannesburg, she was also awarded as the most stylish celebrity of the year — YAY — and was named as the overall winner of most stylish South African of the year at the 2012 SA Style Awards. For the occasion she wore the daring and cool jumpsuit from Lion Cloth and Ashes - the line of local clothing that she collaborates on. And looked so magnificent that I instantly tweeted the designer, Anisa Mpungwe, to demand my own.
I don't know who runs the SA Style Awards. I don't know who nominates or votes for the winners.  But it exists and people seem to like it. However, I am not completely convinced by that award for most stylish South African in itself, you know? I would want that person to have changed the local style playing field. Maybe have a unique and consistent vision of style in the manner of Coco Chanel, Iris Apfel, Tilda Swinton, Kate Moss or even Solange Knowles. You know, someone who inspires others to try and emulate their style. I'm not sure we have that kind of person in SA. Yet. But that's just me.
What I really, really do LOVE is that Anele won the most stylish celebrity with her bold approach to dressing, her passionate involvement in the fashion industry and by wearing local at all her official functions. She is not some vacuous SA celeb who runs off and wears Gucci at the first opportunity. She is committed and involved in an industry that is not always kind. So, for me, it is a well deserved accolade and one that I am sure she will appreciate and use with responsibility, shaped by her love for fashion. Bravo lady. You made the right call in the fight for the jumpsuit. I love it.
Idle Talk: