Ewa Sonnet Love

Long Walk to Freedom LA Premier: Vionnet and Marianne Fassler
It's not often I get to write a post and reference edgy French brand Vionnet happily alongside legendary South African designer Marianne Fassler. But today is a good day. And while I was absolutely enchanted by Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom star, Naomi Harris, utterly gorgeous violet Vionnet gown, it really pales into insignificance when we have an opportunity to showcase local.
South African Co-star Terry Pheto was on the red carpet for the LA premier on Monday night dressed in full Marianne Fassler African finery. I absolutely love and respect that Terry resolutely wears local, championing our style and flair and design.
And of course Terry is just unspeakably beautiful. That really helps. But she is also an ambassador for an unapologetic African aesthetic. They may not get it everywhere. But we do. And can't imagine a more glorious representative for us. This is not my absolute favourite Fassler gown, to be fair. I am not a huge fan of that neckline (similar to the Chanel worn by Lupita Nyong'o last week). But I am a fan of the way it is worn. Thank you Terry.
Oh and while we are on this subject, can I just say that my admiration for Naomi's gown is somewhat off-set by the fact that I am a little bit weary of her displaying her ribcage at every opportunity. A super-slim actress is commonplace. But one that insists on wearing crops, cut-outs, slashes and sideless gowns so that we can all see her bones is quite another. She looks magnificent in this gown. No doubt. But I would simply like her to play up more of her natural elegance rather than her ribcage. That's all. Thoughts?
Idle Talk: