Ewa Sonnet Love

2013 ELLE Style Reporter Winner: Niquita Bento

Please say hello to the new fashion blogger on the scene, Niquita Bento (middle). She was crowned as ELLE Style Reporter 2013 last week, by Jackie Burger and Blackberry's Kath Smith, taking up the mantle from last year's winner, Trevor Stuurman (right, in Adriaan Kuiters), who has had a fantastic year and we have all fallen completely in love with him. A fashion event these days would be weird without Trevor's adorable style and perfectly mannered approaches for photos and questions. I can only wish Niquita a year that results in the same industry affection and acceptance. I can't imagine why it wouldn't since she already seems to be prodigiously talented.

Browsing through her entry work is a lesson in sophisticated fashion blogging. It is so beautifully considered and smart. It is creative, well written and superbly photographed. I mean this is really excellent work. I adore this juxtapositions of fashion and the building shutters. Just gorgeous. There is definitely room for delving into fashion history and learning the 'why' of it all, but aside from that, Niquita seems to have this thing down. I can't wait to see where she goes from here.
StyleGuide: How are you going to use the ELLE Style Reporter title to further your career goals?
NB: As a style Reporter for ELLE, there isn't a better platform out there for me to share my passion. I want to use this title to exhibit all aspects of my creativity and to network with insiders, and gain knowledge of the industry that I want to grow in. Ultimately, being able to be a part of the ELLE team opens so many doors. The mentorship from chief judge and photographer Ed Suter is also invaluable.. 

SG: What do you think that winning this title means in the industry? 
NB: This competition is an amazing opportunity and gives me, as part of the youth in our society, a voice. Making this competition available to young aspiring creatives allows for a fresh take on the world of fashion and reporting.

SG: What is the one thing that you are planning to do to celebrate your win?
NB: I'm planning on spoiling myself with some much needed new equipment (and maybe some wine.)

SG: By this time next year, how will you know that you have succeeded? 

NB: If I can feel myself that I have grown and obtained skills throughout the year, as well as knowing that I’ve applied myself more than 100%, then I will feel successful. To be honoured with this title and recongnised as a new voice in local style reporting is in itself a huge achievement and the beginning of an amazing journey. 

That it is, Niquita, and all the best of luck for your year ahead.
Idle Talk: