Ewa Sonnet Love

David Tlale at New York Fashion Week Winter 2014
South Africa's fashion King David Tlale showed his first solo show at New York Fashion Week on Sunday, and not only was this a great personal achievement for the local boy who has set his sights on a business in the US, but it was also sensational.
I absolutely loved elements in this collection. The cape details on the sleek, elegant little dresses. The peter pan collars that I love to much. The beading and embellishments with the contrast leather belt. The length on the black velvet dress. The origami folds on the beige. Just utterly gorgeous and beautiful and sophisticated and so totally world class. These things made me very proud.
I did think that there was too much going on, overall. I would have pared it back by one or two elements, at the least. But considering that this was the most subtle collection David has ever shown, I think that he is getting there anyway, without my two cents.
I also thought that there was work to do in the styling. Pantyhose for a New York show is unforgivable. Particularly since that vibe opened the whole show. I hope not too many NY fashion hacks and buyers were alienated by that one small detail. Also, I would have cast slightly differently. But this is just some nitpicking.
Overall the collection was wonderful and a good start. I hope that a few of the buyers pick up on the wearability of it and that David gets a foothold in the market. There is no doubt he can do it, as he has the talent. He is on his way.

All photos courtesy of SDR Photo/Eric Marillier
Idle Talk: